March 19, 2020
Dear members, caregivers, and AFC partners,
The Northeast Arc is committed to protecting the people we support and our staff. We want to let you know about the measures we are taking to protect the health and safety of all families who participate in our Adult Family Care (AFC) program regarding COVID-19.
Our commitment to you:
- Instead of coming to your home, we will conduct all visits via telephone until further notice.
- For individuals applying for AFC services, we will make every attempt to conduct initial meetings via videoconference, if appropriate.
- If you are unable to participate via videoconference, we will refer you back to your healthcare provider for a referral to another program (such as home health).
- Any staff person who is feeling sick will stay home. If necessary, staff will participate in a 14-day self-quarantine. AFC staff are currently working remotely.
- We are here to help. If you have a question or need assistance, call us:
- During business hours, call your assigned AFC case manager or nurse
- After business hours, call the AFC on-call phone at 978-219-5888
- For urgent issues, call the AFC on-call phone at 978-219-5888 (if there’s an emergency, ALWAYS call 911 first)
Important steps you can take:
- Make sure that we have your current phone number and email address.
- Make sure you have a back-up plan if you or an alternative caregiver gets sick. If you need assistance, call us.
- Take precautions:
- Frequently wash your hands for at least 20 seconds
- Use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content
- Disinfect commonly-used surfaces (such as door knobs) regularly
- Sneeze into a tissue or your elbow
- Avoid physical contact with non-household members. Practice “social distancing,” which means staying home whenever possible and keeping at least 6 feet away from others.
- Immediately contact your healthcare provider if you or someone in your home is feeling sick – especially if someone has a fever over 100.3 degrees or new respiratory symptoms (such as cough or shortness of breath).
- If you are experiencing an emergency, call 911.
- Check mass.gov/2019coronavirus every day for important information and updates about COVID-19.
- Check ne-arc.org for additional resources and information about Northeast Arc’s response to COVID-19.
This is obviously a stressful and rapidly changing situation for many of us. However, the AFC team is here to support you and your family, and we will continue to do everything in our power to ensure you receive the assistance you need.